Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Wow, Life Happened!

Hello all.

Holy crap, it's been a while.  A lot has happened since the last post, and I feel like I owe you guys some updates.

First of all, I got engaged!  It's exciting, and it's a lot more involved planning-wise than I had planned.  Wedding planning has kind of taken priority over book writing, but don't fear, the book is still alive.  I thought that being on nights would provide lots of uninterrupted writing time, and sadly that's not quite working out.  The night's off do have lots of downtime to write, but lots of trips to and from Kansas City and not being able to fully adjust to a consistent night schedule, has made it hard to stay awake long enough to do anything productive.

Luckily I've been able to keep some creative juices flowing.  I've begun creating and writing my first home brewed Dungeons and Dragon's campaign.  It is a little easier to do in bursts of 20 minutes to an hour than novel writing.  The positive part of this is it's kept me doing at least some form of creative writing; however, short D&D adventures and maps, are still not novels.

So I will be getting back into the book; don't worry.  As a bonus though, since I realized about twenty minutes before writing this that I'm sitting on a nice pile of potential content, I'll also throw in some posts about my adventure creation and maybe some campaign diaries so you all can follow along the narrative of what my adventurers are up to.

I think it'll be pretty cool.  So along with the urban fantasy book I'm writing, you can get a glimpse into sort of a more traditional fantasy genre where I'm creating stories.  The stories created and particularly the process in which they are created in the D&D campaign are interesting.  As opposed to me sitting down and writing every single thing that will happen, I just write up a loose background and the players have a huge impact on how the story plays out.  For example, in the first session most of everything I had went along according to plan, but I did wind up completely improvising a non-playable character who turned out to be pretty popular at the table.

As I continue working on both projects, it'll be interesting to see how project affects the other.

That being said, I'm glad to be back, and will do my best to stay in touch much better than the last couple months.

No comments:

Post a Comment